Losing, and emphatically at that, to a team that hasn't won a game in months, is flat-out embarrassing. Suffice it to say, others in the United blogosphere have trod this path before, but I was willing to hold out just a little longer. Now I'm convinced. We're toast. Barring some sort of major miracle--healing waters bringing everybody back to full health, a draught of some liquid that makes us forget our recent pathetic play, and a defense that might stand a chance of keeping out a U-12 girl's squad--it's over for this season. We've got two first-round picks next year. Let's make them count.
Words almost fail me, so here's my condensed talking points.
* Yes, refs suck, and Terry Vaughn takes the suck to new heights, but he can't be the scapegoat in this game. Those were all wearing black or were the men in charge of assembling the men in black.
* Why does Donovan only seem to perform when he's angry or has his back against the wall? And why does it always seem to be us he does it against?
* Once again, because I can't say it enough--our defense is embarrassing. We looked like we could have shipped a dozen or so.
* If Emilio is healthy and confident and in one of his rich veins of striking form and manages to nail that breakaway to make it 2-0, did we ever stand a chance in the notional world of make-believe results? Sadly, I doubt it.
* I'm done. I'm depressed. My effort parallels that of my team.
Is there any hope? Can we pull this one out of the fire? We still hold the last playoff spot, if only by the skin of our teeth. We've got to give it a go against Marthon. If we lose, it's time to let the reserves take some major hammerings in the CCL. Even if we win, necessity may dictate this path. Given the abbreviated nature of our bench, it's either one or the other at this point.
Drink heavily, my friends. That's my real advice.