USA Reaction - Smoking the Cubans

Day late and a dollar short and all that ;-).

Anyway, I didn't really take too much from this match. I know, I know, I'm totally jaded, emitting a resounding "meh?" in the wake of a 6-1 victory. The Cubans were shorthanded, outclassed, and we got the goals we needed. The play wasn't magical to watch, but we were completely dominant in a match we should dominate. So let me get a couple of talking points out of the way, and then we'll move on to some discussion of Wednesday's lineup . . .

* The fullbacks were more active. As they should be with two holding mids to cover for them when they get forward and a complete dominance of possession. I'm still not completely sold on Pearce, but he's not a liability either. And I tend to like Cherundolo for what he offers in crossing and off the dribble, but is it just me or is he making a lot of dumb tackles/challenges lately?

* Dempsey is a shadow of his former self. If he's not going to be picking up more minutes at Fulham, he needs to be moving on. Rumors are swirling about a move on loan to QPR, but I'm not sold on the Championship being the right place for him. Time to complete the American exodus away from Craven Cottage and pack him off to mainland Europe, where his gifts would be better developed and more appreciated.

* Kljestan + Bradley were okay, but I think that Kljestan belongs further up the pitch. Say perhaps in the spot that Dempsey is currently not doing much in? And I say that as a huge fan of Dempsey. I think he's got a lot to give this team, but at the moment, he just doesn't have it, and I'd like to think we're getting to a point now where roster spots are something to prize, not automatic handouts to the chosen few. As far a Kljestan goes, I like his creative spark, but I'm not sure a deeper-lying central role does him (or the team at large) justice.

So we're into the hex, which means that Bob has a couple of matches to experiment. I'm guessing that he's going to continue to play some sort of 442 or 4411 like he has been, so what I'd like to see (given the available players) would be . . .
Guzan in net
Bornstein, Califf, Mastroeni, Wynne across the back
Edu and Szetela holding
Torres, Adu, and Kljestan supporting Altidore in attack
bring on Rogers for Kljestan at the half, followed by Davies and Orozco at some point

But what we'll probably get is
Guzan in net
Pearce, Califf, Edu, Hejduk across the back
Mastroeni and Torres (Bradley Jr. would have had another cap if he wasn't suspended) holding
Beasley, Adu, Kljestan supporting Altidore in attack
subs dictated by the scoreline

So what do you expect to see out of Bob? It's inevitable that we'll have a young, inexperienced roster, but will he go for the full-bore youthquake or trot out the few old warhorses at his disposal?

Update:
Whoops! Just got through the newsfeed and Mastro/Rogers are out, Rolfe/Carroll are in. That sucks as I was looking forward to seeing what Rogers could do. Anyway, here's the updated "what I want" roster . . .
Guzan in net
Bornstein, Califf, Edu, Wynne across the back
Torres and Szetela holding
Beasley (captain), Adu, and Kljestan supporting Altidore in attack
Rolfe on at the half for Beasley, rejigger things (Torres left, Rolfe right, Adu in middle with Kljestan + Szetela holding) to get Torres farther forward, Orozco and Davies at some point
(yes, I know that this side might struggle, but I want to see what they're made of!)

But what we'll probably get is
Guzan in net
Pearce, Califf, Edu, Hejduk across the back
Szetela and Kljestan (Bradley Jr. would have had another cap if he wasn't suspended) holding
Beasley, Adu, Rolfe supporting Altidore in attack
subs dictated by the scoreline

No comments:

Post a Comment