This won't take long. I'll put in about the time that Tommy did for his team selection. Remind me again about the FO's commitment to international competition. Aren't they always claiming that we "need" to be involved in these types of tournaments? So what the hell were we doing throwing our Open Cup roster out there, punting so we don't have to deal with the group stages in the fall? Some fodder for discussion...
* Anybody else getting flashbacks to the bad old days of 2008 in this one? Did Janicki's putzing about and delivering the goal to Firpo on a silver platter not have a touch of Martinez' "overplaying" in defense about it? How many of you watched Kocic mishandling a variety of shots and thought, "hey, when did Zach Wells re-sign for United?" And Peralta's got nothing on Avery John when it comes to resorting to the long dump over the top when he can't connect a simple 10-yard pass. As for disappearing #10's...I won't even go there.
* Clear the damn ball! Honestly, I can understand if the message was, "play possession, don't give it away needlessly." But once you've been burned once for trying to be cute at the back, don't you think tempting fate should be out of the question? I've often forgiven Jakovic for this behavior because he's so rarely punished and his technique is decent, but god, if the rest of the defense is trying to emulate him, we're in for a world of hurt.
* I wonder if N'Silu's early exit was planned, because he was actually hustling for his 40 minutes.
* Why was Szetela wide with DiRaimondo in the middle for most of the match? Isn't DiRaimondo a wide player, and doesn't Szetela bring more to the party from a distribution standpoint?
* We were lucky to get that ref. Sure, he called things a little tight, but he also wasn't the typical maniac with cards that you usually get from CONCACAF.
* Defensive help, please? That open senior roster spot beckons. Time to fill it.
See? Told you I'd be brief. The worry for next week, of course, is that away goals leave us needing to win or grab a scoring draw. Either way, we need to create goals. And that doesn't even take into account that we might not be so lucky with cards or PK's next time around. Here's hoping we get more space to play and that somebody has a word with Tommy about running out a stronger lineup. I wouldn't have minded trotting out some second-stringers if the road leg was first, but we've just placed all of our eggs in one uncertain, Central American basket.