Product Review | Tiempo Time!, Part One

It’s been a couple of decades since I’ve had to endure two- and sometimes three-a-days in the brutal humidity of late summers in central Pennsylvania, sweating by the bucketload and bathing in Icy Hot. Of course, two decades ago I was also possessed of that magic elixir known as youth.

These days, my exertions are somewhat more limited. A bit of home landscaping and sweating behind my push-reel mower. Some light ball work and taking shots on goal at the local community park. Chasing down balls and “herding cats” as an assistant coach for my daughter’s U-8 team.

But then, I am also well into thirtysomething-land, so I’ll take any advantage I can get.

Case in point: the Nike Tiempo jersey and Nike Tiempo shorts from my friends at SoccerPro.com. While I had initially intended the shirt and shorts to be practice-wear, they quickly became my coaching-wear as well. Luckily, I had presciently ordered the jersey in red, a happy match for our local youth soccer organization. But the real benefits arrive when you realize how light they are and how much moisture gets wicked away from your body, a combination that becomes ever so obvious the first time the slightest hint of a breeze hits you when the sweat has begun to flow.

Of course, having felt these benefits on the playing (and coaching!) field, it didn’t take me long to transition to using the shirt and shorts during my most arduous of workouts, mowing with my trusty push-reel. In case it’s been a while, or you’ve never had the dubious pleasure of using a push-reel mower, there is only one source of power to both move the mower and spin the cutting blades: the operator. Needless to say, this is sweat-intensive work. Happily, while I don’t sweat any less, the Tiempo gear is much more comfortable to mow in than my standard ratty cotton t-shirt and baggy shorts.

And that brings me to my final point about my new coaching and landscaping kit. The reason I always used t-shirts and shorts on their last legs to train and to mow in is that they have a very short lifespan after the creeping sweat stains and inevitable loose threads creep into the picture. Thus far, after a couple of months of pretty heavy use, I don’t see any indication of those failures happening with this set. The stitching is solid, and for all of my copious buckets of sweat, I’ve yet to see anything stain-like. Don’t get me wrong, I expect that the heavy abuse will have their effect soon. But for at least one summer’s worth of mowing and kicking balls in comfort, they’ve been well worth the investment.

So if you’re looking for a reasonable set of practice or game uniforms for your team (SoccerPro has discount pricing for large quantity orders), training or coaching gear for the individual, or just want to do your landscaping in relative comfort, you might want to check out the Nike Tiempo jerseys and shorts, available in a variety of colors (dark red shirt, black shorts for me, if you must know ;-). Or check out SoccerPro’s selection of other soccer training wear.

---
Product(s) for this review were provided to FBF by SoccerPro.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment