Habarugira showed little besides a fiery attitude and little respect for staying home as a defender in the few minutes he logged last year, but wouldn't you want to have depth in question marks going into the pre-season camp in hopes that one or more of them resolves into something resembling an answer? Maybe he wasn't willing to compete for a spot? Maybe he wanted to go back across the pond? Maybe he really was just awful (kinda begs the question of why we signed him in the first place)? Maybe we're clearing international spots for more signings? Maybe, maybe, maybe.
But a 31-year old striker who appears to have hit his talent ceiling at the English 3rd flight? A 22 year old brought up at one of the biggest clubs in the world, but who can't seem to break out of the reserves at lesser clubs and was recently looking to catch the bottom rungs of the professional leagues in England?
Castillo looks an impressive capture, and Perkins is as close as you're going to get to a guaranteed good one, but there's still a decided amount of what looks like floundering coming out of the United FO. Time will tell, I suppose, but their recent record in transfers in from abroad does little to calm any worries.
Update the list!
1. Josh Wicks, GK - trade bait?
2. Troy Perkins, GK
3. (I) Julius James, D
4. Lawson Vaughn, D
5. Marc Burch, D
6. (I) Dejan Jakovic, D
7. Bryan Namoff, D - nursing the noggin
8. Devon McTavish, D/M
9. (I) Floribert N'Galula, D/M - how much are we paying him? this year's African washout?
10. Rodney Wallace, D/M - don't forget, he counts against the cap now
11. (I) Cristian Castillo, M - on loan, but does anybody know for how long? [UPDATE: One year, option to buy--credit to Josh in the comments.]
12. Danny Szetela, M
13. Clyde Simms, M
14. (I) Tiyiselani Shipalane, M/F - can't see both he and Boyzzz making the cut
15. (I) Christian Gomez, M/F - probably gone, but included until departure confirmed
16. Chris Pontius, M/F
17. Santino Quaranta, M/F
18. (I) Thabiso Khumalo, M/F - see Shipalane, Tiyiselani
19. Jaime Moreno, F
20. (I) Danny Allsopp, F - Oi! Oi! Oi! or oy vey?
1. (GA) Bill Hamid, GK
2. (I) Milos Kocic, GK - under contract, but is it for Dev Dollars again?
3. John DiRaimondo, M
4. Brandon Barklage, M - fully recovered?
5. Jordan Graye, D - we took a local kid so he could live at home on Dev Dollars, right?
GA = Generation Adidas
I = requires international roster spot, maximum of 8 internationals on senior roster, internationals on developmental roster don't count against that total
Looks like we're back to even on the international spots (unless we're still carrying an extra one?) and the senior roster is filled... for now. Onalfo is apparently still shopping the Sudamericano supermarket (or does that become SuperMarket in MLS-speak?), but we'll have to shed some of the current crop to make room, both when it comes to international spots and roster spots, if we're to make any acquisitions.
Any thoughts, netizens? You've been awfully quiet of late...