It’s been a while since we reset the roster, mostly because United have been (relatively) quiet on the signing front. The big news, of course, was getting De Rosario’s contract sorted out and extended, but there are a few items to address, so let’s go ahead and do a pre-Coffee Pot Cup reset, shall we?
First, we finally have the updated guidance from the league on how the rosters are to be structured this year. The most important change here is in the age requirements for off-budget players, which were removed in favor of salary requirements. Thus, I’ve moved players (Korb, King) who I’d initially had on the salary budget list to off-budget to reflect the status they have on DC United’s roster page. The exception is Kitchen, who they have as off-budget courtesy of his Generation Adidas contract, but that can’t be right since he’s graduated from GenAd.
Second are the changes in the trialists section. I know that Lambo was still said to be under consideration, but seeing as how Andrew Dykstra claims he’ll be (or was, at this point) signed on 2/20, I’m taking the liberty of removing him. That said, I’m not pushing Dykstra onto the roster until we get official word of his signing (and whether he’ll be on- or off-budget). I’ve also added the two left backs: Guilherme and Burciaga. Though Burciaga has been listed as a “guest” player by United in pre-season camp updates, the fact that he’s traveling with the team suggests to me that this is more than helping the club out with numbers. I’m guessing he’s the left-back-depth insurance policy if a deal can’t get done for Guilherme or if the Brazilian wingback clearly isn’t up to snuff.
On to the updated roster…
Salary Budget Players (18 required, maximum 20)
- D (I) Jakovic, Dejan
- D Woolard, Daniel - Is he really a starting-quality MLS fullback?
- D McDonald, Brandon
- D Russell, Robbie - Past it or the second coming of Namoff?
- D (I) Dudar, Emiliano - Can he supplant Jakovic or McDonald to start?
- D/M Kitchen, Perry - The anchor-elect. United lists him as off-budget courtesy of GenAd, but I’m pretty sure he graduated.
- M Morsink, Kurt - Surplus to requirements with addition of Saragosa?
- M Saragosa, Marcelo - Journeyman vet offers cover for Kitchen
- M (I, DP) Boskovic, Branko - Ready to make a statement?
- M Cruz, Danny
- M/F De Rosario, Dwayne
- M/F Pontius, Chris
- F Wolff, Josh
- F (I) Santos, Maicon
- F (I, DP) Salihi, Hamdi
Off-Budget Players (8 required, maximum 10)
- GK (HG) Hamid, Bill
- GK Willis, Joe
- D (HG) White, Ethan
- D Korb, Chris
- D/M (HG) Shanosky, Conor - Ready to play with the big boys?
- M King, Stephen
- M (HG) Najar, Andy
- M/F DeLeon, Nick
- GK Dykstra, Andrew - According to him, he’s signed, but no official word yet from United.
- D (I) Guilherme - Brazilian left wingback.
- D Burciaga, Jose - Listed as a “guest” player, but Goff says United are “evaluating.”
- M C’deBaca, Seth - Still on trial? Haven’t heard his name in a while.
- M Rozeboom, Lance - Suppie pickup. D-mid depth?
- M/F Richter, Ryan - Union washout, college goalscorer (for what it’s worth), can play right back in a pinch.
- F (I) Alfredo - Brazilian youth prospect.
Interesting (assuming United’s roster page is correct) that we still have three salary budget spots that we must fill to fulfill MLS rules. I’d assume the two Brazilians on loan would take two of those spots (if they’re signed), but who gets the third? Given that it’s as easy as United saying somebody counts on the salary budget roster, there isn’t a problem here; it’s just interesting that instead of needing to trim players to fit roster regulations, United needs to add them.