Still no left back, but the slight defensive midfield depth issue has been addressed with the signing of Brazilian journeyman Marcelo Saragosa. Given that Kitchen will surely miss time for Olympic qualifiers (and the big show in London if we qualify) and isn’t exactly a sure thing as he steps into his first year in the role for which he’s being groomed, depth was a concern.
Prior to the Saragosa acquisition, said depth consisted of the permanently-injured Morsink, the not-yet-signed rookie Rozeboom, the unblooded Shanosky, and either King or McDonald playing slightly out of position, none of which are ideal choices. I’d find it strange (though not entirely out of the realm of expectation, given the FO’s history) if Morsink hangs on to a roster spot.
Left back next? Please? Pretty please?
Salary Budget Players (minimum 18 required)
- D (I) Jakovic, Dejan
- D Woolard, Daniel - Is he really a starting-quality MLS fullback?
- D Korb, Chris
- D McDonald, Brandon
- D Russell, Robbie - Past it or the second coming of Namoff?
- D (I) Dudar, Emiliano - Can he supplant Jakovic or McDonald to start?
- D/M Kitchen, Perry - The anchor-elect
- M Morsink, Kurt - Surplus to requirements with addition of Saragosa?
- M King, Stephen
- M (I) Saragosa, Marcelo - Journeyman vet offers cover for Kitchen
- M (I, DP) Boskovic, Branko - Ready to make a statement?
- M Cruz, Danny
- M/F De Rosario, Dwayne
- M/F Pontius, Chris
- F Wolff, Josh
- F (I) Santos, Maicon
- F (I, DP) Salihi, Hamdi
Optional Salary Budget Players (maximum 2 allowed)
Off-Budget Players (maximum 10 allowed)
- GK (HG) Hamid, Bill
- GK Willis, Joe
- D (HG) White, Ethan
- D/M (HG) Shanosky, Conor - Ready to play with the big boys?
- M (HG) Najar, Andy
- M/F DeLeon, Nick 
- GK Dykstra, Andrew - MLS experience, excellent competition for the largely unproven Willis if the price is right
- GK Lambo, Josh - Under consideration, but no longer training with the team. Methinks Dykstra gets the #3 spot if the price is right.
- M C’deBaca, Seth - Trained with the big boys last year and played with U–23’s so we should have a firm handle on his qualities
- M Rozeboom, Lance - Suppie pickup. D-mid depth?
- M/F Richter, Ryan - Union washout, college goalscorer (for what it’s worth), can play right back in a pinch
- F Jerome, Stefan - US youth nat has been toiling in lower-tier Euro-obscurity, but used to have some pretty smooth skills if memory serves.
It’ll be interesting to see what the list of trialists for the Arizona camp looks like given that most of the depth issues have been addressed. Fullback (natch!) is the noticeable weakest link, while there are options already on trial (and presumably impressing since they’re still around) to fill out the numbers up top, in the midfield, and in the net.
Toss Rozeboom, C’deBaca, and Richter on the off-budget list, sign Dykstra and Jerome to the salary budget roster, and you’ve still got one spot open on each. That’s enough room for a reasonable quality left back and an off-budget fullback depth option. Assuming, of course, we need to carry both Saragosa and Morsink. If not, there’s another salary budget spot…
Korb turns 25 this year, making him (to my understanding under previous year’s rules) ineligible for Off-Budget status. ↩
Listed as Off-Budget on dcunited.com, but turned 25 last year. Wouldn’t that have made him ineligible for Off-Budget status in 2011? That’s what the rules say anyway. ↩
Listed as Off-Budget on the roster. Isn’t GenAd, but qualifies for status anyway by virtue of age if United lists him as such. Of course, they still list Kitchen as Off-Budget by virtue of GenAd status, and he graduated from GenAd months ago… ↩