Horses for Courses

Color me both uninspired and unsurprised by the Ruiz acquisition.

I grew up in the same neck of the woods as Ben Olsen, and though I'm a touch older than he is, I know (and am related to) folks who have shared a field with him. They're all pretty consistent in both (a) detesting Ben as an opponent and (b) being ready with an anecdote about how he bent or plain broke the rules in pursuit of winning, even when the game was meaningless.

So in that context, Ruiz makes sense. He also makes sense when you look at the kind of forward Ben wants leading his line. Still...

I'd be lying if I said I was overjoyed, but I'd also be lying if I said I was disgusted. In fact, I'm having a hard time getting past yawning indifference. Yes, the roster being assembled is deep, it's competitive, it matches both Ben's personality and the tactics he wants to employ. It's increasingly looking like a horse well-suited for the oft-brutal slog of the MLS course. I won't be surprised in the least if it's successful where results are concerned.

And I'll watch. Of course I'll watch. And cheer. And groan. And ride the roller coaster of highs and lows as any fanatico is wont to do. I'm just not sure there will be much to enjoy beyond results.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you completely about Ruiz. What is all this talk about him being a goal-scoring machine? That was ages ago...

    ReplyDelete