Hmmm...

I just watched the second leg of the Vancouver-Portland USL1 semifinal, and it was pretty entertaining stuff. Sure it was played on a rug, some of the violence on the pitch was borderline criminal (I'm aware of the MLS glass house I'm living in), and the play was a bit direct for me (lower division + plastic pitch = predictable results), but it was also an exciting game with a great atmosphere. 3-3 in the second leg, Portland throwing everything at the Whitecaps' defense in an attempt to level the score (no away goals in the USL playoffs, apparently), and it ended 5-4 on aggregate to the visiting Canucks.

Good stuff, and more grist for the Northwest Rivaly mill when these two teams join Seattle in MLS in 2011. Plus some old names to boot. Ever wonder what happened to "Futty" Danso when he didn't stick with United? He's in Portland now. How about former United reserves Justin Moose and Jay Nolly? They'll be contesting for the USL crown in Whitecaps' colors over a two-legged final the next two Saturdays (from what I can tell).

Consider me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment