Roster Reset | Danny Walks the Plank

Glad I held off. Drew Yates didn't seem enough cause to refresh the Roster Reset, but Danny Szetela? Wow. Now there's a change. The immediate questions and speculation in my mind?

(1) Free senior roster spot and more cap space. How long until Pena's signing is announced?
(2) Color me curious why we protected Szetela in the expansion draft. Did we expect he'd turn up to camp with a fire in his belly and a new attitude? Perhaps. I'll be interested to see how Jacobson does this year in Philly.
(3) Wonder if anybody sniffs around Danny so we can pick up a draft pick for next year?
(4) Any plans for central midfield depth? DiRaimondo? Really? Ouch.

So let's reset the roster. I'll meet you on the other side.

Almost a lock
In the mix
Outside, looking in

Senior Roster
1.  Josh Wicks, GK
2.  Troy Perkins, GK
3.  (I) Julius James, D
4.  Lawson Vaughn, D - Goff says Adams has the inside track as fullback depth
5.  Marc Burch, D
6.  (I) Dejan Jakovic, D
7.  Bryan Namoff, D
8.  Devon McTavish, D/M - versatility is key; can play central or right in midfield and defense
9.  Rodney Wallace, D/M
10.  (I) Cristian Castillo, M
11.  Kurt Morsink, M
12.  Clyde Simms, M
13.  (I) Tiyiselani Shipalane, M/F - speed and flair bring something different; does he have more potential than Boyzzz?
14.  Chris Pontius, M/F
15.  Santino Quaranta, M/F
16.  (I) Thabiso Khumalo, M/F - quick, hard-working; not the most reliable finisher; one of he or Shipalane would seem to be surplus
17.  Adam Cristman, F
18.  Jaime Moreno, F
19.  (I) Danny Allsopp, F

Developmental Roster
1.  (GA) Bill Hamid, GK - a freebie according to some unspecified MLS rule?
2.  Jordan Graye, D - hasn't been dismissed yet, but we haven't heard much about him either
3.  Brandon Barklage, M - only question is whether he gets a senior spot or not
4.  John DiRaimondo, M - Szetela's waiver puts him firmly in the running to stick

Trialists
1. Andrew Quinn, GK - apparently still kicking around
2. (I?) Lyle Adams, D - according to Goff's little birdies, he may be in
3. (I) Quiarol Arzu, D - Honduran youth national teamer, awaiting judgement after his trial 
4. (I) Juan Manuel Pena, D - I want to say it's a lock, but we don't know salary demands yet or how impressive he was in a single half of play in Mexico
5. Barry Rice, D - not many spots open, but we might have room for a project center back
6. Daniel Woolard, D - almost a lock if he wants Dev Dollars; if he wants a senior deal?
7. Andy Najar, M/F - would be "outside," but got called back in for the Carolina Cup; possible GenAd deal? 
8. Drew Yates, M/F - picking through Chicago's trash
GA = Generation Adidas
I = requires international roster spot, maximum of 8 internationals on final roster [Cristman trade leaves us with 7 spots]


A crucial bit of information we need to consider when filling those spots is that both Goff and Buzz Carrick have identified some unspecified league rule that seems to allow academy signings as a "free" roster addition, taking up neither a senior or a developmental spot. I was aware that this was the case last year under the home grown player rules, but those rules also specified that Hamid wasn't allowed to play in MLS contests. Does this still hold or has the rule (which seems likely) been massaged by the scheming minions in MLS HQ? Whatever the case, if it's true, it changes the math, allowing us, effectively, five developmental slots. So bear that in mind.

In addition to upgrading Pena's chances, I've also boosted Lyle Adams at the expense of Vaughn. Goff usually isn't wrong about these things, and if he's intimating that Adams seems set for a senior deal, then I can't imagine Vaughn would be sticking around unless we hang onto him using Burch's vacated senior spot. I think it more likely that Barklage would be handed a senior deal, particularly in lieu of Szetela washing out.

So, assuming Pena, Adams, and Barklage to the senior roster with Burch and Wicks on the inactive list (Wicks' return to training apparently is mid-April, while Namoff, back in training now, might be ready sooner than the two months we'd be guaranteeing he'd continue to be out for), we'd still be under the limit, even if we continue to carry Vaughn and Shipalane/Boyzzz for now. I wonder if that gives Woolard a better shot at making the senior roster? I suppose we'll have some questions answered tonight when we see who takes the field against TFC.

As a point of comparison with our acquisitions, take a look at what KC is doing with those international spots, one of which they acquired from us. Two of their latest signings came from (1) the Israeli second tier and (2) non-league ball (fifth tier!) in England (I know Rocastle has a decent bio, but the fact remains that he was last with Forest Green Rovers, one of my favorite lower league clubs to manage back when FM was still CM).

Feeling a little better?

6 comments:

  1. The closer we get to 3/27, the better I'm feeling about United's roster. And the antsier I'm feeling about that even mattering.

    District Sports spring league starts April 11... I wonder if I'll play in my preferred forward role or whether I'll settle into the central midfield position I was thrust into last year. Maybe a run-out on the left side - lefties are rare in the Sunday league. Can I even send in a decent cross at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pure, wildly hopeful speculation:

    Szetela was let go to make room for a better central midfielder that DC is holding very close to the vest. This player will allow Quaranta to move back to right midfield.

    Also, the club has finished a stadium near Metro Center, and we have collectively just haven't noticed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, if only all that were true Chest.

    I for one was definitely shocked by the Szetela move. I really was expecting him to break thru with consistent minutes for us, especially with Barklege coming back from injury. But if BB outperformed everyone in the preseason then might as well save the 100K I guess. Danny getting hurt on the second day of camp didn't help either. 100K+ is a lot of scratch for a player who has never scored an MLS goal. We should have seen this coming when he didn't play at all of Saturday, yet was 100% heatlhy. The one thing that bugs me is that I know he will pop up with the Pink cows or the Union. Ah well, I like that the FO was aggressive enough last year to take the risk and see if it would have worked out. There was no use in not using that spot... WE should get some more answers in the TFC match tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, maybe Nowak will send Fred back in exchange for the rights to Szetela (kidding!)

    Uh, Josh? Pontius didn't play on Saturday either. Hope Saturday's roster wasn't too much of a tell on how the FO's going to play this ;-).

    I'll try to tune in for the second half tonight, but I'm pretty resigned to missing the first. Any thoughts on whether Onalfo runs out the "second team" in this match or against the Battery? I tend to think we'll see the starters, maybe with Pontius rotated in for the full match this time around, with a line change in the second half.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Yes, but Pontius had just played on Wednesday in Mexico, so he was just getting some rest IMO.

    I think we'll see the reserves a little more tonight early, with some starters mixed in, and then more starters later if we fall behind or the starters are needed. I too won't be able to watch any of the match tonight, so here is hoping that Chest can watch and give us a good analysis. He thinks that Rice is on the inside track for a developmental spot, which I'd love to believe, but I'm a little skeptical because he has yet to make an appearance for us I do believe. So tonight should be the night for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. Still no Pontius in the TFC match?

    Adams justifies Goff's intuition, though he snaps up a Dev deal instead of landing a senior spot, so that changes the equation a bit when it comes to those senior spots, though not enough to justify another Roster Reset post (yet). Of course, considering the noises coming from the MLSPU, our roster might not need to be finalized any time soon. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete