So The Pot Says To The Kettle . . .

Wait, wait. Stop me if you've heard this one before. Ruud Gullit said something stupid . . . Oh, all right. I know it's a bit like fishing with hand grenades, but anyway . . .

So I'm watching a stream of Liverpool-Chelsea (Sky Sports, I think?), and I left it on after the match on the off chance that I would get to see Jamie Carragher attempting to speak English (I did, and it was just as hilarious as always, thanks for asking), when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but Ruud Gullit giving managerial advice to West Ham's Gianfranco Zola.

It seems that Zola carries the same curse that poor Ruud is afflicted with. You know? The one where their natural inclination is to implement creative, expansive futbol with their teams because that was the type of fantastic, innovative--nay nearly divine--players that they were. Unfortunately, Mr. Gullit went on to caution Mr. Zola, it seems that not every club (West Ham, for example) is able to match the talent and ambition of their manager. In which case, the aforementioned former god-like-player-turned-manager has to learn to coach down to his players' level, to adapt as it were.

To which I (and to his credit, though I think he was intending to be disparaging towards MLS rather than ironically mocking Gullit, the Sky Sports-appointed talking head) asked, "Like you did in America?" Sadly, the mighty Ruud just brushed past that aside without response, though I'm sure he later regretted not slagging off MLS once again.

Ah well.

I do have to wonder though, which is worse--the man speaking intelligible English who doesn't have the faintest clue what he's talking about, or the man who knows what he's saying but can't seem to make himself understood to non-Scousers? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment