So, DC took out the Crew by a 2-1 count, with the Crew's one being something of a fluke. Of course, all we've got now is lineups and some tweets. But since when has that ever stopped the righteous hyperbole of the internet!?!
* We're still playing four at the back. I had speculated earlier today that one way we might accommodate the return of Gomez was by switching back to a 3-5-2. Based on a single pre-season friendly the day after the trade went down, I'm prepared to put that speculation to bed ;-). Okay, not quite ready yet. The opener coming off a cross from a fullback (Zaher) is promising though.
* Wallace got time both on the left wing and at left back. I wonder if the staff thinks he's ready to pick up more minutes than they had originally planned. That might (and I'm providing them plenty of rope here) justify letting Guerrero go.
* Jacobson went off early for the second match running. Is he just struggling with the same injury or have we signed easily damaged goods? His record with Lorient would suggest that he spends a lot of time on the treatment table. Not an auspicious beginning to his United career.
* Pontius hit the winner after what seems like a chance he fashioned for himself. Rookie forwards creating their own chances? Hmmm. Are they allowed to do that? I'm assuming he was going against trialists and the dregs of the Crew roster, but still . . .
* Thorpe played with the "A" team in the first half. Wonder if Kocic's star has dimmed somewhat? The manner of the Crew's goal won't do him any favors. Perhaps that 19th-string keeper acquired from the Rapids is here for a reason? Or maybe Tommy is just giving Thorpe a fair shot at earning his spot?
Now, back to my tea leaves and ouija board and idle speculation with the other artistes at the café.