Hmmm. Thought we would have had the roster wrapped up by now, but United are apparently still auditioning new trialists with the addition of left winger Lewis Neal to the party. Unfortunately, none of the remaining guys getting a look is a left back – a position that is probably United’s weakest from the standpoint of starters, and one at which they have zero depth.
Applying the (rather modest) updates…
Salary Budget Players (18 required, maximum 20)
- GK, Dykstra, Andrew - Odd that the third-stringer is the only one on the salary budget?
- D (I) Jakovic, Dejan
- D Woolard, Daniel - Is he really a starting-quality MLS fullback?
- D McDonald, Brandon
- D Russell, Robbie - Past it or the second coming of Namoff?
- D (I) Dudar, Emiliano - Can he supplant Jakovic or McDonald to start?
- D/M Kitchen, Perry - The anchor-elect. United lists him as off-budget courtesy of GenAd, but I’m pretty sure he graduated.
- M Morsink, Kurt - Surplus to requirements with addition of Saragosa?
- M Saragosa, Marcelo - Journeyman vet offers cover for Kitchen
- M (I, DP) Boskovic, Branko - Ready to make a statement?
- M Cruz, Danny
- M/F De Rosario, Dwayne
- M/F Pontius, Chris
- F Wolff, Josh
- F (I) Santos, Maicon
- F (I, DP) Salihi, Hamdi
Off-Budget Players (maximum 10)
- GK (HG) Hamid, Bill
- GK Willis, Joe
- D (HG) White, Ethan
- D Korb, Chris
- M King, Stephen
- M (HG) Najar, Andy
- M/F DeLeon, Nick
- M Rozeboom, Lance
- D/M (HG) Shanosky, Conor
- M (I) Neal, Lewis - Assuming no green card
- M/F Richter, Ryan - Union washout, college goalscorer (for what it’s worth), can play right back in a pinch.
Color me a little confused here. We’ve got three, count them, three fullbacks on the roster. Sure, we’ve got lots of guys who could do spot duty there (including a guy who was our starting right back for most of last year), but why – for the love of heaven why? – do we have so many dedicated d-mids?
All signs are pointing to Rozeboom getting a contract, and, from what I’ve seen in pre-season, I’d say that’s a good move. But he’s also the fourth defensive midfielder on this roster (with Kitchen, Morsink, Saragosa). If we were playing a bucket midfield that’s good depth, but theoretically Benny will be pairing a d-mid with Boskovic (or King – who’s more d-minded than creative dynamo in his own right) in central midfield. So why four?
I guess you could say that we’re not certain that Kitchen will pan out and Rozeboom won’t pick up many minutes this year, so it would pay to have cover, but it still looks a little excessive given the shortfall in other areas…
Roster lists updated to reflect Rozeboom signing as off-budget player