So that's what we'll attempt to do with Feature Creep. I'll outline the directions I think I'll be heading this year, and you tell me how horribly, horribly wrong I am or make suggestions for features you'd like to see. I'll stick with the Roster Reset formulation. If you don't remember what a certain feature implies, I already linked to the cheat sheet, but I'll do it again, or you can read the recent examples I've helpfully provided links for...
- MLS Dogpile - Sure I've been doing it for a while, but I've got an axe, and I'm not afraid to use it. The Dogpile was fun for a while, and it does provide the stated mission of the blog (namely, my opinion as a fan). But I'm tiring of it and wonder if it wouldn't be better left to the likes of Ives...
- MLS Table Talk - This one's a conundrum wrapped in a mystery burrito. I know there are folks who like the numbers talk, and, frankly, my initial intent was to split this into two features: (1) the Table Talk just presenting the unified table and (2) a Stat Chat looking into the deeper numbers. That said, it does present an inordinate amount of work for relatively little payoff. So should I invite Stat Chat to camp? Does Table Talk remain on the senior roster?
- Tickle v. Tackle - TvT has been on hiatus for a while now, and I'm not sure whether I should bring it back roll it into a new feature.
- The FBF Glossary - I haven't made a new entry in a while, so suggestions are welcome. I'll probably keep it on board, but wonder if there's any interest beyond my own?
- Match Reaction - These obviously stay on board. They're pretty much the backbone of the blog. Duh.
- What I Want For Christmas (and the WIWFC in July summer transfer window sideshow) - I like the feature, and it general gets some good discussion surrounding it, but I thought I cut the heart out a little with the "United Autopsy" this past year. Thoughts?
- Monday Back Pass - This feature never really got going, caught as it was between my various "Random Pings" posts and the match reactions. Does it have a future?
- DCU|FM Challenge - I had fun with the one I did at the close of last season. So much so that I'm thinking of doing it twice a year. Once in the spring with the roster DC United has going into the season, and once in the fall in the aftermath of the season's end.
- United Autopsy - This trial is probably only a formality, as it's an obvious addition to the lineup. Thoughts?
- Roster Reset - I think 2010 is the first time I formalized this feature, but it looks pretty useful on first blush.
- Match Reaction Compilation - I don't know what I'm going to call this feature--if I even decide to do it (I'm not sure I'm the right one for the job, maybe Black and Red United?), but there's been a screaming void in this department since D left the party.
- WC Roster Dance - Just a working title. I thought I'd do something similar to the Roster Reset for Bob's 23 going to South Africa. Maybe a "lock/bubble/out" division of players and then the 23 I'd take (on current fitness/form) versus who Bob's likely to take. Any interest in that?
Too much relentless navel-gazing? Perhaps. I just figured I'd do a little of my thinking in public so that if there's something you really like that I don't see a future for, you can try for a stay of execution.
Good luck with that. I'm a heartless bastard when it comes to pulling the trigger... most times. (See how I left you with some hope? Heartless bastard, I tell ya!)